According to legend, Savannakhet’s most sacred site, That Ing Hang, houses Buddha relics. Indian King Asoka allegedly created a monument in 225 BC to sanctify the place where Buddha is believed to have delivered a sermon before resting under a Hang tree, thus the name. It is also thought that the Phathat (funeral reliquary) houses parts of Buddha’s spine.
Research shows that a Mon Empire king erected a stupa here as early as 1,500 years ago. This smaller monument and area surrounding it was augmented by King Saysethatirath in the 16th century. In 1930, a nine-meter-tall, three-tiered carved stucco stupa was constructed in Lane Xang style with the upper level symbolizing a lotus. (Savannakhet Outskirts Circuit)